Zoo Krewe is a specialized year-round volunteer program for teens, ages 13 -17, where members are provided with hands-on training on what it is like to work at a Zoo. Only a select group of Zoo Krewe applicants are accepted each year, but those that are chosen get the unique opportunity to do the following:
- Provide on-site learning for Zoo guests
- Assist staff in animal care and enrichment
- Support the Zoo's community events
- And much, much more!
Applications Accepted March 1st - May 31st
Training sessions will be offered the second week of June to the last week of July from 8am to 4pm.
- June 7 – June 11 (*MANDATORY FOR NEW ZOO KREWE*)
- June 14 – June 18 (*MANDATORY FOR NEW ZOO KREWE*)
- June 21 – June 25
- June 28 – July 2
- July 5 – July 9
- July 12 – July 16
- July 19 – July 23
- July 26 – July 30
Each applicant will be contacted during the application process. The cost of the program upon acceptance is $150.00 (Due before the first training session). This cost will cover 2 uniform shirts, learning materials, supplies, and training. This is a non-refundable fee. Each member of Zoo Krewe will be responsible for taking a TB test before their first session of training.
Members will be responsible for maintaining a 3.0 GPA during the academic year, completing 16 hours each month during the school year, completing 100 hours of service during the summer, and attending two Zoo events.
Please note that sending in an application does not guarantee you a spot in the program. Once your application request is received, you will be contacted about these additional materials:
• Two teacher recommendations
• A copy of the applicant's most recent report card
• A short essay about why the applicant is interested in becoming a Zoo Krewe member
• Setting up an onsite interview
The deadline to submit a completed application and additional materials is May 31st.
Please click here to submit an application request.