BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo Re-Opening Plans Announced
May 12 2020
BREC's Baton Rouge Zoo has been working diligently to prepare plans for re-opening the facility that properly follow Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) guidelines. With the modifications listed below, the Zoo plans to re-open for Friends of the Zoo Members only May 18 through May 20 & re-open to the public on May 21. The Zoo will follow normal business hours.
Modifications guests will see in place as additional safeguards include:
- Safari Playground, Cypress Bayou Railroad, L'aquarium de Louisiane, Otter Cabin & Kids’ Zoo Contact Yard may be temporarily closed.
- Keeper chats & amphitheater shows will be temporarily suspended.
- Flamingo Café & Cool Critters Café will be open with a limited menu & properly adjusted outdoor seating.
- The number of guests allowed in the Zoo will be limited to eliminate crowding.
- Constant disinfection of all touchable surfaces will occur in accordance with CDC & LA Department of Health guidance.
- Hand sanitation stations provided at multiple locations throughout the Zoo.
- A one-way path for all visitors will be enacted to avoid passing of guests.
- Installation of protective panels where face-to-face interactions most frequently take place.
- Implementation of barriers near exhibit viewing areas with glass to limit touching.
- Creation of public markers to serve as social distancing reminders.
- Zoo staff will wear face shields.
- Guests are encouraged to wear mask face coverings to protect our staff & animals.
- Protocols will be adjusted as necessary to keep staff, guests and animals safe.
All special events & private events, including birthday parties, safari nights, and corporate events scheduled at the Zoo through June 1st have been cancelled. Future events will be determined as more information becomes available.
While the Zoo has been closed to the public since March 17, 2020, essential veterinary and animal care staff have been on site daily providing quality, expert care for the animals, as always. The animals have been safe & sound and continuing with business as usual. The Zoo has provided virtual adventures on their social media channels keeping followers engaged with keeper chats, educational presentations, and behind-the-scenes footage. During the stay at home order, over 745,000 impressions were reached with these virtual adventures.
Zoo leaders are actively monitoring the rapidly-changing situation and will announce any additional decisions or updates on the Zoo’s social media channels & website (www.brzoo.org).
About BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo
BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo is a place where people connect with animals, including tigers, giraffes, rhinos and alligators. The world-class Realm of the Tiger, Flamingo Cove, Giants of the Islands, Safari Playground, L'aquarium de Louisiane, and KidsZoo exhibits offer fun & education for all ages.