Position:Looking for a way to gain experience while working in a fast-paced, flexible and fun environment? Then the Friends of the Baton Rouge Zoo is for you! We're currently looking for a spring and fall intern for the 2014 year that is a self-starter, has great writing skills and is interested in learning more about communications in the non-profit world.
- Responsible for supporting the Director of Marketing and Development and the Membership and Events Coordinator with the following tasks:
- Writing and editing articles for the Zoo's quarterly newsletter, Wild Times
- Writing and editing articles for the Zoo's monthly e-newsletter, Z-Mail
- Writing and editing press releases and media advisories
- Social media management and growth for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, SCVNGR, Flickr and YouTube
- Event planning and management for Zippity Zoo Fest, Breakfast with the Animals, Dreamnight, ZooZoom, Members Night, Boo at the Zoo and ZooLights
- Grassroots public relations efforts through public library displays, tradeshows and public appearances, etc.
- General use and event photography
- Other duties as assigned
- Junior or Senior level undergraduate
- Majoring in public relations, journalism, marketing or advertising
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, especially writing
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Able to work 12-15 hours weekly
Applications:To apply, please send cover letter, resume and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.