Art Gone Wild 2012
Submission deadline November 30
Click here to see a list of winners by category.
Submission Drop-off Locations:
BREC's Baton Rouge Zoo
3601 Thomas Rd.
Baton Rouge, LA 70807
Baton Rouge Parents Magazine
11831 Wentling Avenue
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
BREC Main Office
6201 Florida Boulevard
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
Prairieville Primary School
40228 Parker Rd.
Prairieville, LA 70769
Alligator (Child up to 2nd Grade)
Eagle (Child Grades 3rd - 6th)
Giraffe (Child 7th - 12th)
Rhino (Novice - Beginners and non-professionals)
Elephant (Advanced - considerable experience to professional)
Artwork to be entered must be 2-D and drawn/painted entirely "by hand."Acceptable media are oil, acrylic, oil pastel, soft pastel, water media, dry media (such as soft pastel, pencil, colored pencil, ink, charcoal etc.) or hand-pulled prints. No digitally enhanced or created artwork, no giclees and no photography will be accepted. Size: maximum size accepted is 18" x 24".
All Zoo and Aquarium subject matter is eligible. Preference for grand prize winner will be given to artwork of animals currently on exhibit.
Your entry is free, but submissions are limited to one per person.
All submissions must be delivered to specified locations by noon on November 30, 2012.
Drop off locations:
- BREC's Baton Rouge Zoo/3601 Thomas Rd./Baton Rouge, LA 70807
- Baton Rouge Parents Magazine/11831 Wentling Avenue/Baton Rouge, LA 70816
- BREC Main Office/6201 Florida Boulevard/Baton Rouge, LA 70806
- Additional locations may be added. Check back with us!
Artwork Requirements and Rules
- The entrant must create the art
- Entries may be made on 18" x 24" or smaller canvas/paper (including matte)
- Submissions are limited to one per person
- Art is not required to be mounted
- Art must be weather-proofed prior to submission. All entrants may be exhibited outdoors during ZooLights. It is assumed that entry is ready for outdoor display upon receipt.
Tip: Acrylic on canvas can be sprayed (all surfaces) with a polymer fixative (clear coat). For any works on paper or other fiber boards, you may shrink wrap or wrap it in vinyl sheeting (comes in several weights, brand name is Con-Tact). If the work is smaller and on paper, you may use a sheet protecting sleeve that you can get in office supplies.
- Each submission must have an official entry I.D. form securely attached to the back of the art. Form should include entrant's name, address, phone number, email address, date of entry and eligible category.
- The Zoo and Friends of the Zoo are not responsible for lost, late, illegible, damaged, incomplete, misdirected or postage-due mail of entries.
Fans determine the winners in each category. Only entries that also submit a .jpg of their artwork will be posted on the Zoo's Facebook page. "Likes" for each piece of art on Facebook count as one vote. Votes cast in-person at ZooLights count double. Combined Facebook votes and in-person votes determine First, Second and Third Place winners in each category.
Art submissions will be on display at ZooLights December 12-16, so visitors may vote for their favorites in person. A panel of jurors, chosen from the professional community, will judge the entries to determine the grand prize winner. All decisions made by voters and by the panel are final. Contest winners will be notified by December 31, 2012.
Entries will be available for pick-up at the Zoo January 7-13. Art remains the copyrighted property of the artist; however, BREC's Baton Rouge Zoo and Friends of the Baton Rouge Zoo reserve the non-exclusive right to use the art submitted to the contest for publicity, advertising, promotional, educational, and other purposes without obtaining further permission and/or compensation. The Baton Rouge Zoo and Friends of the Zoo will attempt to give credit to the artist when possible. A signature on the registration form constitutes acceptance of these terms.
Winners' Prizes and Publicity
A first, second and third place winner will be awarded within each of the categories. The judges will select a grand prize winner from all of the winning entries. The winning entries along with the grand prize winner will be exhibited during ZooLights in the Safari Post Gift Shop for the remainder of the event.