September 13, 2012
BREC's Baton Rouge Zoo is having a party...and you're invited! Join us on Saturday, September 29 as we celebrate Zuri’s third birthday.
The female rhino will have a cake made with many of her favorite treats. Zuri’s keepers will present her with her birthday treat shortly after noon, but visit all day for fun activities.
Zuri’s birthday guests can:
· Sign a large birthday card near rhino exhibit to write their birthday and good wishes to the birthday girl,
· Enjoy rhino-themed cupcakes, while supplies last,
· Chat with Zuri’s Zoo keepers about rhinos and the struggles they face in the wild,
· Visit the Wildlife Safari Amphitheatre for daily shows at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. and different games and crafts, and
· Make a special birthday card for Zuri.
Zuri was born on September 28, 2009. The black rhino is part of a Species Survival Plan (SSP). The SSP is a cooperative population management and conservation program for rhinos in zoos and aquariums in North America. Organized by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), the plan manages the breeding of a species in order to maintain a healthy and self-sustaining population that is both genetically diverse and demographically stable. As an accredited member of AZA, the Baton Rouge Zoo participates in the rhino SSP. With less than 4,000 black rhinos left in Africa, a viable captive could be a hedge against extinction.
Call 225.775.3877 for more information.