Art Gone Wild
Art Gone Wild, sponsored by Baton Rouge Parents Magazine is back! Pick up your paints, pencils or crayons and let our tigers, rhinos, birds and more inspire your wild piece. All final submissions will be displayed at the Zoo during ZooLights and online for voting. Submissions are due by Friday, November 27, and can be dropped off at either the Baton Rouge Zoo, BREC or Baton Rouge Parent's Magazine.
- Alligator (Child up to 2nd Grade)
- Eagle (Child Grades 3rd - 6th)
- Giraffe (Child Grades 7th - 12th)
- Rhino (Novice - Beginners and non-professionals)
- Tiger (Advanced - considerable experience to professional)
Eligibility: Artwork to be entered must be 2-D and drawn/painted entirely "by hand." Acceptable media are oil, acrylic, oil pastel, soft pastel, water media, dry media (such as soft pastel, pencil, colored pencil, ink, charcoal etc.) or hand-pulled prints. No digitally enhanced or created artwork, no giclees and no photography will be accepted. The maximum size accepted is 18" x 24".
All Zoo and Aquarium subject matter is eligible. Preference for grand prize winner will be given to artwork of animals currently on exhibit.
Entry Fee: Your entry is free, but submissions are limited to one per person.
Deadline: All submissions must be delivered to specified locations by noon on November 27, 2015.
Drop off locations:
- BREC's Baton Rouge Zoo/3601 Thomas Rd./Baton Rouge, LA 70807
- Baton Rouge Parents Magazine/11831 Wentling Avenue/Baton Rouge, LA 70816
- BREC Main Office/6201 Florida Boulevard/Baton Rouge, LA 70806
Rules and Requirements:
- The entrant must create the art
- Entries may be made on 18" x 24" or smaller canvas/paper (including matte)
- Submissions are limited to one per person
- Art is not required to be mounted
- Art must be weather-proofed prior to submission. All entrants may be exhibited outdoors during ZooLights. It is assumed that entry is ready for outdoor display upon receipt. (Hint: plastic wrap or sheet protectors work great!)
- Each submission must have an official entry I.D. form securely attached to the back of the art. Form should include entrant's name, address, phone number, email address, date of entry and eligible category.
- The Zoo and Friends of the Zoo are not responsible for lost, late, illegible, damaged, incomplete, misdirected or postage-due mail of entries.
- If entrants want to gain votes via Facebook as well, they must submit a .jpg of their artwork to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration Forms: Additional registration forms are available at the Zoo front entrance ticket area, Zoo gift shop and the Zoo administration building.
Judging: Fans determine the winners in each category. Only entries that also submit a .jpg of their artwork will be posted on the Zoo's Facebook page. "Likes" for each piece of art on Facebook count as one vote. Votes cast in-person at ZooLights count double. Combined Facebook votes and in-person votes will determine the First, Second and Third Place winners in each category.
Art submissions will be on display at ZooLights December 11-13, so visitors may vote for their favorites in person. A panel of jurors, chosen from the professional community, will judge the entries to determine the grand prize winner. All decisions made by voters and by the panel are final. Contest winners will be notified by December 31, 2015.
Returns: Entries and any applicable prizes will be available for pick-up at the Zoo January 4-8. Art remains the copyrighted property of the artist; however, BREC's Baton Rouge Zoo and Friends of the Baton Rouge Zoo reserve the non-exclusive right to use the art submitted to the contest for publicity, advertising, promotional, educational and other purposes without obtaining further permission and/or compensation. The Baton Rouge Zoo and Friends of the Zoo will attempt to give credit to the artist when possible. A signature on the registration form constitutes acceptance of these terms.
Winners' Prizes and Publicity:A first, second and third place winner will be awarded within each of the categories. The judges will select a grand prize winner from all of the winning entries. The winning entries along with the grand prize winner will be featured in the Spring 2015 edition of Wild Times, in Baton Rouge Parent's Magazine and online at brzoo.org.