BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo Hosts Annual Zippity Zoo Fest 2016
March 29 2016
BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo will host its annual Zippity Zoo Fest on Saturday, April 2 and Sunday, April 3. Marking the anniversary of the Zoo’s Easter Sunday opening in 1970, Zippity Zoo Fest also kicks off the beginning of spring at the Zoo.
“Zippity Zoo Fest is one that’s particularly near and dear to the Zoo” said Phil Frost, Zoo Director. “Not only does it provide the perfect atmosphere for children and their parents to shake off their cabin fever, but it allows all of us to celebrate the many years of connecting people with wildlife and wild places since the Zoo first opened.”
Activities at Zippity Zoo Fest will include:
- Children’s Village: Sponsored by Aetna and Baton Rouge Parents Magazine, our Capital One Pavilion is transformed this weekend into a free Children's Village with giant inflatables! Parents watching their children can also enjoy the adjacent Entertainment Stage and seating area under the pavilion.
- Ed-Zoo-Cation Station: Stop by the Ed-Zoo-Cation Station for fun and learning! At Ed-Zoo-Cation Station, adults and children alike will enjoy a variety of interactive games to help learn about animal facts, animal conservation and pollination. You'll also get to meet some of our education department's animal ambassadors!
- Keeper Chats: Hear from our Zoo Keepers, ask questions and learn how we care for our animals daily. At select chats, watch our animals enjoy a special Zoo birthday treat, while you enjoy a piece of free Zoo birthday cake!
- Live Entertainment Stage: Located next to our Children's Village, and sponsored by Coca-Cola, WYNK, 96.1 The River and the Baton Rouge River Center, enjoy the talents of groups from across the area, as well as local bands. This year's acts include Rockin' Rouge Band, Graffiti Dance Studio, Dorothy and the Shaky Egg Band, Rae and the Line Band, Michael Brandt, Zachary Karate, Leaps and Bounds Artistic Gymnastics and Central Karate. In between performances, don't miss a photo opportunity with Petite Princesses or Penny, the Zoo's mascot.
- Photo Contest Winners Gallery: Visit our education building to see the winners of our photo contest. Sponsored by The Advocate, the photo contest is open to photographers of all ages and experience levels. Winners will be announced at Zippity Zoo Fest, and their printed photos will be on exhibit, gallery-style, throughout the two-day event.
- Activity Booths: With the support of our partner organizations throughout the area, the Zoo will be filled with various activity booths. Partners include the Baton Rouge chapter of the American Association of Zoo Keepers, East Baton Rouge Parish Libraries’ Bookmobile, West Baton Rouge Parish Museum, BREC Outdoor Adventure, BREC Observatory, Walk with a Doc and DARE. And don’t miss some of the Zoo’s own activity booths which include face painting and Pollinator Corner!
Admission gates will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Zoo grounds close at 6 p.m. Regular Zoo admission applies. For more information on Zippity Zoo Fest 2016, please call (225) 775-3877.