The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for the assessment of volunteer opportunities and needs at the Zoo, along with recruiting, screening, placing, training, evaluating and retaining volunteers and docents.
Requirements and Job Specifications:
- Education Required: High school diploma or equivalent and associates degree in communications, public relations or business with some science course work..
- Education Preferred: Graduation from an accredited 4 year college or university in education, Business management or administration, or any closely related.
- License: Valid LA driver's license.
- Other: 2 years volunteer management experience or relevant zoo/ museum customer service experience; excellent interpersonal/ organizational skills; willingness to handle animals; ability to effectively communicate both orally and written; knowledge of general office practices and basic computer skills.
Functions and Duties:
- Recruits and screens volunteers based upon Zoo and Education Department needs.
- Organizes and implements volunteer orientation and training sessions.
- Directs and monitors daily activities of volunteer and docent staff.
- Evaluates volunteers' performance and uses awards and recognition program.
- Maintains information dialogue with volunteers via email, phone and mail.
- Maintains volunteer records, events calendar and newsletter.
- Conducts education programs on and off-site.
- Assists Education Department with program development.
- Updates volunteer handbooks and training manuals as needed.
- Networks with other community volunteer organizations.
- Represents the Education Department at special events.
- Coordinates volunteers from organizations outside the Zoo to help with special events
Secondary Job Duties:
- Assists with the daily operations of the Education Department.
- Schedules field trips and Education Programs as needed.
40 hours a week as assigned. Generally 8 hours per day, 5 days per week; weekends and occasional evenings are required. An offer of employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment criminal background check, Motor Vehicle Records check, drug screen and physical. To apply visit www.brec.org and search for Guest Services Coordinator.