Marketing and Communications Intern
Looking for a way to gain experience while working in a fast-paced, flexible and fun environment? Then the Friends of the Baton Rouge Zoo is for you! We’re currently looking for an intern that is a self-starter, has exceptional writing skills and is interested in learning more about communications, marketing and development in the non-profit world.
At Friends of the Baton Rouge Zoo, our mission is to support BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo. Among the many ways we do this are management of the membership program, providing marketing and advertising support, overseeing all public relations efforts, planning and implementing all major Zoo events, growing the base of donors and sponsors and maintain the Zoo’s digital presence. As an intern at Friends of the Zoo, you’ll have exposure and the opportunity to get real hands-on experience with all of these aspects of our organization.
Requirement and Job Specifications:
- Must be a college junior or senior, majoring in public relations, journalism, marketing or advertising
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, especially writing
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with sometimes stressful situations required
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required
- Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures and Friends of the Baton Rouge Zoo mission and values
- Ability to work in outdoor conditions when needed
Essential Functions and Duties:
Responsible for supporting the Directors of Marketing and Development and the Membership and Events Coordinator with the following tasks:
- Writing and editing articles for the Zoo’s quarterly newsletter, Wild Times
- Writing and editing articles for the Zoo’s monthly e-newsletter, Z-Mail
- Writing and editing press releases, photo releases and media advisories
- Identifying and developing contacts of potential and current donors and sponsors
- Planning future growth, developing new material and maintaining current content on the Zoo’s website
- Social media management and growth for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Event planning, implementation and management for Zippity Zoo Fest, Breakfast with the Animals, Dreamnight, Zoo Run Run 5K and Fun Run, Members Night, Brew at the Zoo, Boo at the Zoo, Veteran’s Day, Scout Day and ZooLights
- General use and event photography
- Management of grassroots public relations efforts such as the Zoo’s public library displays, tradeshows and public appearances, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Position reports directly to the Membership and Events Coordinator. To apply, please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.