Catering/Event Sales Manager
The Catering/Event Sales Manager seeks and develops relationships with local companies, groups, and organizations to grow the Zoo’s catering/event sales business. The Manager will be responsible for maintaining sales and outside calls quota. Sales techniques will include personal appointments, outbound telemarketing, and onsite FAM tours. It is expected that the Manger will spend at least 50% of their time meeting with clients to sell product and grow and maintain relationships. The Catering/Event Sales Manager works closely with Education Department and Guest Services staff to successfully fulfill sales as needed. The Catering/Event Sales Manager works with Zoo management to insure services rendered, products sold and price points are attractive and in line with our local market offerings. This position also contributes to positive guest experiences and performs other duties as required. Coursework in business, marketing, public relations, or a related field is preferred.
Minimum two (2) years of experience in catering/event sales, service, development, or related field is required.
Four years of experience in catering /event sales, service, development, or related field is preferred.
Other Job Specifications:
- Duties include sales of Facility Rental/Catering, Birthday Parties, Twilight Tours and Safari Nights program
- Knowledge of menu planning, menu design, and the ability to guide a planner or customer toward meals most conducive to the size of their groups and the space allotted.
- Professionally represents the Zoo in all sales transactions and at related industry functions & meetings.
- Where practical and feasible, ties other Zoo programs into the selling of value-add packages
- Actively works to develop new leads and works professionally with clients to develop and maintain relationships and records.
- Minimum prospecting levels will be set throughout the year.
- Insures smooth transition between each signed client contract and Guest Service Department personnel once a contract is signed.
- Strong organizational skills, customer service orientation and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work closely with staff involved in fulfillment of sales and events.
- Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays.
Hours Worked: Full time position, minimum of 40 hours per week. Some evening and weekend hours as required.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Develops and implements the annual private events sales plan that will meet the established Zoo’s goals annually
- Develops relationships in the local corporate market creating a client base in our local market
- Participates in the local hospitality and tourism industry to strengthen the familiarity and position of the Baton Rouge Zoo in the community
- Consistently works with local and state Destination Marketing Organizations to provide the Zoo with a strong position in the market
- Meets all Zoo established goals for revenue and attendance
- Works with the Zoo’s Guest Services Department and Marketing Department to create compelling sales materials, packages, and price points that will increase sales annually
- Conducts tours & site visits as required by customers
- Generates proposals and contracts from sales calls in order to meet sales goal
- Conducts site inspections, venue tours, and hosts familiarization trips
- Negotiates sales contracts maximizing the benefit to the Zoo and keeping within department guidelines
- Develops and maintains communication through all internal departments to maintain effective working relationships among Zoo team members
- Prepare and submit sales status reports, lead generation reports, and revenue summaries to Director weekly
- Analyzes industry reports and trends to make recommendations to Zoo management
- Works with the Zoo’s Marketing Department to increase awareness of the Baton Rouge Zoo in target markets through printed and electronic media
- Remains abreast of industry trends and competitive information/programs
- Actively contributes to positive guest experiences
- Cross trains on other office functions as needed
- Accepts other projects and duties as assigned by management
- Establishes and maintains positive, cooperative, and effective working relations with fellow employees
- Evaluates organization and processes in area and initiates improvements
- Evaluates facilities in area and participates in planning improvements
- Delivers extraordinary customer service to all Zoo guests and internal customers
- Ability to travel frequently to attend travel shows and sales calls
- Familiarity with the Zoo’s purpose, vision, mission, and values
- Sitting: There are long periods of sitting – up to 4 hours – involving in office work, meetings etc.
- Standing: Ability to stand for periods of time and to move intermittently throughout the workday.
- Walking: Ability to take guest on a tour of the Zoo by foot.
- Climbing: Limited to stairs and a ladder during event preparation
- Turning/Twisting/Bending/Stooping: Upper body mobility to allow office work and preparation for events.
- Pushing/Pulling: May occasionally be required to pull/push boxed material or party supplies.
- Lifting: May occasionally be required to lift objects of 50 lbs. or less.
- Reaching: Frequently required to reach with hands and arms. Adequate arm extension required to perform office/desk work.
- Squatting/Crawling: Occasionally required to squat, crouch or crawl.
- Manual Dexterity: Sufficient hand control required to operate keyboard, calculator, and individual must be able to grasp and operate small office tools and equipment.
- Visual Acuity: Must have sufficient near visual acuity to read, write, transcribe information, data and number and perform presentation design; close vision for extended periods of viewing a computer screen or screens, distance vision color vision, and ability to adjust focus; average far acuity and depth perception is needed to drive.
Performs other duties as needed upon request of immediate supervisor.